You may have heard that dogs can be left alone for a long time. If you do that, it can make your dog stressed and then they will show you bad behaviour. Now, how about Pomeranians? Can they stay home alone? Let’s find out the facts about it here and also the other things related to leaving Pomeranian alone.
When A Pomeranian Being Left Alone
As the owner of a Pomeranian, of course you cannot be at home all the time. Sometimes, you may need to leave them for working, going to school and the other things that require you to leave your dog. However, you have to make sure that you do not leave them for a long time. If you leave your Pomeranian alone for a long time, they may suffer from overwhelming amounts of anxiety. As a result, it can give an effect to their behaviour long after you arrive back home.
If you have to go out and leave your Pomeranian, you are able to leave your Pomeranian which is 8 weeks and older for about 8 to 9 hours. However, according to pomeranian.org and Spinning Pom website, every age of Pomeranian has different maximum time for being alone as you can see in the list below.
- A Pomeranian which is 8 to 10 weeks old can be left alone for 1 hour.
- A Pomeranian which is 2 to 3 months old can be left alone for 2 hours.
- A Pomeranian which is 6 to 12 months old can be left alone for 4 hours.
- A Pomeranian which is 12 to more than 18 months old can be left alone for 6 to 8 hours.
If the puppy is still very young, it is important for you not to leave them alone for more than an hour as a maximum. It is because at this age, they have not learned how to control their bladder yet. Also, they may not know how to go to the toilet and other new things for them and as a result it may be a problem for you.
After your Pomeranian puppy is 2 weeks old and then becomes 2 months old, you are able to try to leave them alone for two hours. When your Pomeranian becomes an adult, you are able to leave them alone for 6 to 8 hours without having to be worried. At this age, they will be very aware about how to use the bathroom and even they will feel happy and independent.
When you leave them, you have to make sure that you prepare for the comfort, safety and everythings that they need. You may have to make a plan and think of the items that you should prepare for your Pomeranian. You have to make sure that you prepare their food and water, make sure that they are protected and cannot get into any trouble and also you have to make sure that they have the right items to help them keep stress and anxiety at a minimum.
It is better for you not to leave them more than 8 hours to 9 hours. If you do that, you may find that there is something happening such as water and food which are run out, poo and pee which are accumulated in the area of Pomeranian and many more bad things.
If you are required to leave home for more than 8 to 9 hours or even overnight, you are able to have your Pomeranian stay with your family member or friend. Another alternative is that you can put them in a doggie day car or canine hotels.
The Things to Prepare When You Leave Your Pomeranian Alone
If you have a plan to leave your Pomeranian alone, you have to make sure that you have prepared anything for the needs of your Pomeranian as we described in the list below.
- You have to create a comfortable environment. You have to set your place to be the right size for your Pomeranian, but also can limit any possible destructive tendencies. You may be able to use the right playpen for your Pomeranian. However, don’t put your Pomeranian in a crate because it will increase their level of stress. You can use a quality indoor portable playpen for your Pomeranian. By using a pen, it will make sure that they can reach their needs such as water, food and going to the bathroom. You can also set a canine bed. You can provide blankets and pillows which are moved around to create a nice, sturdy and supportive bed for their time of taking a nap.
- You can provide some toys for them so that they can play to release their energy.
- Make sure to prepare their food and water in a safe way. If you are afraid to put a water bowl due to spilling, you are able to use a canine water fountain. It will produce fresh water constantly. For food, you are able to put it into Kings. However, you are also able to put a little buut in a bowl. It is because a Pomeranian may be hungry.
- You have to make sure that they have access to use his toilet. You can provide a pee pad for an easy solution.
- You have to keep the lights on. Sometimes, people leave their Pomeranian on a sunny day and they forget not to turn the light on. Then, when the night comes, they leave their Pomeranian in a dark condition. Being alone is a struggle for a dog and then if they have to be left in darkness as well, it will make them sad.
- You have to make sure that you do not leave the house in a very silent condition. You are able to turn on your TV or radio. By doing it, it will keep the dog calm and also it will help them feel not alone. Make sure that you turn on something pleasant so that it can make your Pomeranian feel better when they need to be left alone.