Whining is one of many forms of Pomeranian vocal communication. Usually, Pomeranian dogs often whine when they are seeking attention, when they are excited, when they are anxious or when they are trying to calm you. So, how to stop a Pomeranian dog from whining? Let us find out that answer here.
Stopping a Pomeranian from Whining
If your Pomeranian dog is whining excessively, it is best to try and learn the reason before you try to solve the behavior. Some people do not mind a little whining now and then, while others can barely tolerate it and consider any amount of whining to be excessive and annoying. The good news is that you are able to train your dog to stop from whining.
- You have to pay close attention to the sound of your Pomeranian’s whining and any other behaviors which accompany it. Over time, you may recognize different pitches and volumes of whines for different reasons. For instance, you may become familiar with the “I am bored” and “I want something” whines. After that, when you hear a whine that is distinctly different, this will help you to specify that the cause is actually pain or stress, for example.
- To stop your Pomeranian dog from whining, you are able to approach your dog carefully and handle him gently if the whining seems to be due to pain or stress. If so, the whining will escalate and even develop into aggression.
- You need to look at the situation objectively and search for the potential reasons for the whining before you determine how to proceed. Remember that you do not ever punish or yell at your Pomeranian dog for whining because this may make an anxious or fearful dog become more and can lead to aggressive behavior.
- If your Pomeranian dog seems anxious, fearful, or stressed out, you have to find the source of the issue. There are lots of fears and phobias can affect Pomeranian dogs. If you are to know the reason, you will be able to work on training and desensitizing your Pomeranian dog to solve his fear.
- You need to give your Pomeranian dog what he wants under certain circumstances. For instance, if your Pomeranian dog is whining to go outside for a potty break, it is better to leash it up or let it out rather than reinforce indoor elimination behaviors.
- You have to avoid encouraging your Pomeranian dog to whine unintentionally. If you are sure that your Pomeranian dog wants something like attention or food, you have to redirect it to another behavior before giving in. For this case, you are able to get your dog to calmly sit or lie down. Afterwards, reward him with attention and praise or a treat.
- You do not give up to your Pomeranian’s want immediately because this actually trains him to whine about everything. This is the most common cause of issue whining. Yes, it is really hard to resist your whining Pomeranian dog. However, if you give up to that cute puppy every time, he can end up with a whiny adult.
- Enriching your Pomeranian’s environment can be a way to stop whining. In this case, you have to ensure that they have many toys, and get plenty of exercise. A Pomeranian dog with pent up physical or emotional energy is more likely to whine.
- You have to respond to your dog’s whining selectively. If you are sure there is no real need, it is best to ignore him. After you notice a moment of silence, offer him praise, a treat, or a similar reward. Even, you are able to take this chance to work on the quiet command.
- In most cases, you are able to manage excessive whining with basic training, mental stimulation, and exercise. When that behavior is not able to change, then you have to bring your Pomeranian dog to a trainer or behaviorist for extra help. Please be patient and consistent no matter what. You may not be able to completely rid your Pomeranian dog of the habit of whining, but at least you will be able to decrease it to a more tolerable level.
Why Do Pomeranian Dogs Whine?
Here are some reasons why Pomeranian dogs whine:
- Appeasement Behavior
Some Pomeranian dogs whine excessively when they are interacting with people and other dogs, usually while taking a submissive posture, for example, body lowered, tail tucked, head down, and gaze averted.
- Greeting Behavior
Some Pomeranian dogs whine during greetings. Usually, this kind of vocalization is motivated by excitement and may be directed at other dogs or people.
- Seeking Attention
Some Pomeranian dogs whine in the presence of their owners to get attention, rewards or desired objects.
Some Pomeranian dogs whine in response to stressful conditions. In this context, whining from your Pomeranian dog occasionally seems involuntarily.
Other Issues That Might Cause Whining
- Separation Anxiety
If your Pomeranian dog only whines just before you leave or during your absence, he may have separation anxiety. If this is the case, usually your Pomeranian dog will display at least one other symptom of the disorder before you go or when left alone, such as panting, pacing, excessive drooling, urinating or defecating indoors, destruction (particularly around the doors and windows), depression or other signs of distress. For more information about this issue, you are able to see our article about how to help Pomeranian separation anxiety.
- Injury or Medical Condition
Pomeranian dogs often whine in response to pain or a painful condition. If you know that your dog vocalizes frequently or has suddenly started to vocalize, it is very important to take him to the veterinarian to rule out medical causes.
Well, the text above is an explanation about how to stop your Pomeranian dog from whining and also the reasons why the dog whines. Now, you are able to solve it.