When you have a dog, there are several things that you need to do with your dog. Not only feeding them, groom them, and checking them to a vet, but you also have to think of how to tire out them. Each type of dog needs different exercise to make them tire out. So, how about Pomeranian?
Exercises Which Can Tire Out A Pomeranian
Even though a Pomeranian is small, however they have a large amount of energy. So, as the owner, you need to be able to release the energy that they have by doing some exercise. Besides it is good for their physical health, it is also good for their behavioural health and socialization.
You are able to walk with them for 20 to 30 minutes at least twice a day. However, you need to concern on their small legs so that you have to make sure that you do not walk too fast. You have to walk at his pace. Make sure that you do not run with your Pomeranian. Then, if you have walked, don’t forget to give them water and a treat because this activity may have made them tired.
Do you know that Pomeranians can go for long walks? Well, they are able to walk up to 2 hours. However, you can do that by stopping in 20 or 30 minutes. After 20 minutes or 30 minutes of walk, you can take a break for 10 minutes and give your Pomeranian water and a treat as we explained above. By doing this, it will keep your Pomeranian hydrated and energized. Nevertheless, the recommended duration for walk your Pomeranian is 20 to 30 minutes twice in a day.
To make the experience of walk to be enjoyable for you and the dog, you can do that on sidewalks or parks. Never do that in the streets because there are a lot of vehicles. It is also important for you to choose the right time to do that where you do not rush anywhere.
The Reasons Why Exercise Is Important For Pomeranians
Giving some exercise to make your Pomeranian tired is important, but why? Here, we have some reasons why you need to give them some exercises.
- Exercise is good for physical health of Pomeranian. If you invite your Pomeranian to do a brisk walk or do the other activities, it will permit muscles to stretch. It will maintain muscles which are developed. It also will circulate the blood and it is good for the heart. Besides, it can help the metabolism of your dog to stay balanced and also can help them to avoid a lot of canine diseases.
- Exercise is good for emotional health of Pomeranian. Even if you find that they are happy to be together with you at home, but exercise is needed by them. The mood of a dog will improve when they are able to engage their canines senses. When you invite them to exercise such as by inviting them for a walk, it can make them to be able to see new things, smell new scents and hear new noises. If you do not give them enough exercise, it will make them have bad behaviour such as excessive barkings, destructive chewing and other behaviour problems.
- Exercise is a good method to improve the social skills of Pomeranian. When you take your Pomeranian to walk or you may invite them to play in the park, it means that you are teaching their interactions skills with people and also with other dogs. Besides, if you increase the moment of meeting and greeting others, it can help your dog which is shy to handle situations that induce anxiety.
How Much Exercise Does A Pomeranian Need?
When you give them an exercise to tire them out, you need to think of the duration. If you give them too much exercise, it can affect the body of your Pomeranian in a lot of ways. Even it can make them overheated. It may make their body suffer unnecessary wear and tear in a lot of parts such as their hips and knees. However, if you do not give them enough exercise, your Pomeranian does not have a way to release their excessive energy and as a result it may be able to make them show bad behaviour.
For their exercise, you are able to give them two walks per day at a pace which is brisk for a Pomeranian. The duration can be about 20 minutes. You are able to extend the duration of walking to 30 or 40 minutes. However, it depends on how much your Pomeranian wants his outside time.
Some Tips To Give Pomeranians Exercise Safely
- Before you go to walk with your Pomeranian, you must bring enough water for your Pomeranian to drink.
- Walk under the shade if the day is hot.
- If the day is warm to hot, you can exercise before 10 AM or after 2 PM.
- You have to walk by following your Pomeranian pace.
- In the cold weather, make sure that you still give them exercise. To avoid them from cold, you can make your Pomeranian to wear something such as lined vest.
- If you have a plan to do a long walk, you must take a break at 20 minute. When breaking, give your Pomeranian drink.
The Other Exercises for Your Pomeranian
Besides walking, you can also give them the other exercises as a variation. One of them is giving them toy dog. You can go to a pet shop and find some dog toys for your Pomeranian. By giving them toys, it can give them physical activity and also mental stimulation.
You can also play fetch with the Pomeranian. Most dogs like this game. By playing fetch, it will move your dog and also can be a bonding activity for you and your dog. You are able to play it in a park. However, if you want to do it inside of your house, you can use automatic ball launcher with the mini balls. Pomeranians are smart so that they are able to learn to use it quickly.